tumblr site counter

Ad valorem "Birthday Tax" on chopping block

Discussion in 'Vehicles & Highways' started by SM Conductor, Apr 3, 2012.

1. SM Conductor

SM Conductor Administrator Staff Member

Tokens:
    $466
    Finally, and end to paying that horrible tax each year on your birthday!
    They say it will take about 10 years to fully implement the law, but now all they have to do is eliminate the income and property taxes, and we won't have any more yearly tax bills!

What will you do with the extra money?

Source: AJC

2. novasparker

novasparker MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $121
    Wow....what a concept. So, the question is, does this actually eliminate the "registration fees" you pay every year for the privlege of driving in GA? Is that what they are considering "annual ad volerem tax"? Or is this another tax that you have to pay on top of the registration/tag fee?

3. tspires2

tspires2 MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $4
    If I am not mistaken when I purchased my car back in November 2013 I paid all taxes for the life of the car. I know that I will be responsible for a $20 tag fee every year but no more tax on the car what so ever as long as I own the car. If the title changes hands that is probably a different story. This was the best I understood when the tag office explained in November 2013.

4. prostreet

prostreet MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $0
    Looks like a smart move indeed. I guess the extra money will be invested in buying new tires... Oh, please eliminate income taxes as well!

5. lanray

lanray MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $2
    Governments does not abolish taxes, they only move them around so while it seem some are being eliminated, you are paying it via another means..It's just the way governments are run.

6. novasparker

novasparker MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $121
    This is great news...I know a lot of people in Atlanta and they used to completely dread the idea of renewing tags or registering their vehicles because of the taxes and the amount being based on the value of the car and all. This is a great way to address it, a one and done. Totally agree with the move.

7. SM Conductor

SM Conductor Administrator Staff Member

Tokens:
    $466
    I just opted-in yesterday for my motorcycle, but I wish we did not have to pay the $20 tag fee every year. Sure, it's just $1.66 each month -- and I assume it goes to fix the roads, -- but still...

8. Yvette4887

Yvette4887 MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $41
    Its good this happen, but the taxes you have to pay up front is high. My car was about $350 and when I was at the tag place, I heard some people had to pay about $1000. It depends on the year and type of car to make it so expensive. Some people actually prefer to add the tax back so they will not have to cough up that expensive fee. Drivers are shock and surprise when they go to the tag office excepting to pay what they did last time, but end up hearing that the fee triple. The government discovers an idea that works one way, but never look how it may affect you at the same time. With the economy being so bad and people not having jobs or living paycheck to paycheck, that tag money was probably spent on all the bills. So this does not help everybody.