tumblr site counter

Atlanta Developer Offers to Donate Land for MARTA Expansion

Discussion in 'Gwinnett County Transit (GCT)' started by SM Conductor, Apr 17, 2012.

1. SM Conductor

SM Conductor Administrator Staff Member

Tokens:
    $466
    Dan O'Leary is willing to offer 9 acres of land to Gwinnett County for a possible future MARTA expansion, in exchange for green-lighting his video gambling proposal.

[click the Source below to view the video]

Do you think this is a good idea? From looking at the video, it sounds pretty intriguing.

And need I remind you that gas is STILL over $3.75/gallon? :)

Source: CBS Atlanta News

2. MattW

MattW MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $39
    It sounds good if they can get Heavy Rail up that way, but not as much if they still plan on using light rail. The I-85 corridor needs a fast, high density transit service, not a cutesy urban-planner-created light rail scheme unless it runs on a fully dedicated right of way, even still, having a direct connection to the rest of MARTA would likely net many more riders than requiring an inter-mode transfer from the Gwinnett system to the MARTA system.

3. novasparker

novasparker MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $121
    I think that it's a good idea simply because expanding MARTA gives more residents of Gwinnett county the opportunity to take advantage of public transportation if they are interested, and then having video gaming approved will net the county an increase in sales tax revenue, which they can use to fund the expansion. Basically, they get to expand MARTA for free in Gwinnett, which you can't turn your nose up at.