tumblr site counter

Beltline loses to the Streetcar

Discussion in 'The Beltline' started by SM Conductor, Apr 3, 2012.

1. SM Conductor

SM Conductor Administrator Staff Member

Tokens:
    $466
    Just found this interesting article about the state of the Beltline in regards to receiving funding, versus the Streetcar:
    And this:
    We know how things go, especially in this region. The administration makes plans for things and paints a rosy picture of when they will be completed, but when the time comes, they have suddenly developed amnesia (GA 400 Tolls, anyone?). If the T-SPLOST does not pass, what is the backup plan?

Source: The Transport Politic

2. thegreendiva

thegreendiva MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $14
    This I think was a mistake on the part of Georgia. Innovation is not always bad. I wished they had not bowed out to the streetcar. Streetcars are cool, but realistically tell me how this is supposed to benefit the region.

3. SM Conductor

Tokens:
    $466
    I agree diva. The Streetcar is more limited in size and scope than the Beltline.

Maybe we could have a bake sale to raise money for the Beltline? ;)

4. novasparker

novasparker MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $121
    I think that the powers that be should have been/should be polling the public ( the people who will be using these services) to see what they want rather than making arbitrary decisions on which service should be provided. If the Beltline is something that the people want, maybe you can lobby the transportation department to fund it. Raise awareness and bring the want of the people to the decision makers.

5. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrake MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $5
    I joined this forum because pass through Atlanta a lot, have friends who live nearby, and blog about environmental and alternative energy ideas from a very broad perspective. Is this project part of the rails-to-rails concept? Is the rail corridor being preserved in a form that would allow easy return to rail use should that become needed in the future?

6. SM Conductor

Tokens:
    $466
    The Beltline is supposed to be a network of trails and light rail to facilitate transportation around the city's core. I think some of the rails have been preserved, but I don't know about all of them. My vision was to see the rails used as an extension of MARTA somewhat to help get people around, but so far it seems to be a lot of waling/running trails and parks versus actual transit. At least right now.

7. thomas pendrake

Tokens:
    $5
    Rails to rails is a program in the U.S. and Canada to convert rail corridors to public use, primarily as hiking and biking trails, while maintaining them in a form allowing for easy conversion as rail-beds. This is done under the theory that rail transport may return as a major form of transport and rail corridors should be preserved. The beltway sounds as if it fits in that program.

8. novasparker

novasparker MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $121
    I have personally seen the non-benefit that adding streetcars to the city's public transportation solution has been. They instituted street cars in Knoxville, TN, which were really just fancy looking buses, and started using them. Nostalgic, yes. Did it result in less traffic and more people using public transportation? no. In the end, the same people who would have used buses, use the streetcars. There are no added benefits. Sadly, I think it will be same way for Atlanta.

9. thomas pendrake

Tokens:
    $5
    The trolleys in Knoxville have the benefit of looking better, something that the People in Knoxville care about. I am familiar with other cities the size of Knoxville and find it to be probably the classiest city of it's size. They even chose to have a beautiful mountain view.

10. novasparker

novasparker MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $121
    LOL... the beautiful mountain view was a must for all of us Knoxvillians. (or at least former Knoxvillians. I belong to Alabama now.) Knoxville has come a long way from where they were, especially when it comes to the look and feel of downtown. We've always tried to maintain the historic value, however before revitalization, it just looked old and tired. The Trolleys add some nostaglia (my grandma loved them) but most people still opt to drive rather than ride them.

11. thomas pendrake

Tokens:
    $5
    The fact is that many Knoxvillians, especially elderly and disabled, have no cars. They get great deals on bus passes. People do use the bus/trolley system, and other people have to look at them. I have been around other cities the size of Knoxville and find Knoxville to be one of the most pleasant of it's size.

12. novasparker

novasparker MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $121
    You are correct. Many folks do use the streetcar and bus system. I was merely pointing out the the folks that ride the trolleys are usually the same folks that would have taken advantage of the bus system or other public transportation options. The trolleys didn't influence others to begin using public transporportation, which is how it was marketed originally. They are great and yes, many people use them. I think they offer a valuable service and they are even cool to look at... They just didn't have quite the impact that Knoxville had hoped for.

13. Katrina Lay

Katrina Lay MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $18
    I see where the streetcar will be passing some really busy streets and business in the downtown area. I don't see how this will help the downtown Atlanta & it conjunction but I can't really see the future of the streetcar. Just wondering how much would the street car will be to use? How many will there be on the streets? I talked with my older sister and her opinion the streetcar was a waste of money, the resident of Atlanta will not be using it much but it might be nice for the tours. I kind of agree with her.

14. NickJ

NickJ MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $62
    Atlanta could use a bullet train that goes from Atlanta to New York City in record time.