Clayton County wants to join MARTA after T-SPLOST Debacle

SM Conductor

Administrator
Staff member
In a welcome -- but perhaps desperation -- move, some leaders and transit advocates are pushing to join MARTA, in an effort to get bus and rail service to their constituents:
"My primary goal and concern is to bring back public transit yesterday," says state Rep. Roberta Abdul-Salaam, D-Riverdale, who's working with Friends of Clayton Transit, a coalition of several groups, including residents, business owners, environmentalists, bus and rail advocates, civil rights groups and clergy, to bring back public transportation.
Abdul-Salaam and other supporters want Clayton County Commissioners to give voters a chance to decide whether they should pay an extra penny on every dollar to fund those routes — and potentially expand heavy rail or even build commuter rail lines. But Salaam stresses that county officials need to take action.
The goal is to get a 1-cent sales tax referendum on the November ballot. Even if they do get it on the ballot AND it passes, there is no word on when any of this would begin just yet.

What do you think? A step in the right direction? Could Clayton County finally be doing what the T-SPLOST couldn't? I suppose only time will tell.

You can view the letter from state Rep. Roberta Abdul-Salaam by clicking on the image below:

Source: Creative Loafing

Bryan

MARTA Newbie
This would be great. It's about time that one of Atlanta's "urban" suburban counties gets it. MARTA is needed everywhere in the metro region.

I personally think that the more cities can do to encourage the use of public transportation over the use of cars is a good thing. It reduces traffic, pollution and accidents. I am all about cities adopting the use of MARTA wherever it makes sense. Good for them

swaugh3

MARTA Newbie
This would be great. It's about time that one of Atlanta's "urban" suburban counties gets it. MARTA is needed everywhere in the metro region.
Since Cobb and Gwinnett already have public transit agencies, I would prefer they expand their own. Clayton however comes to mind first when it comes to expanding MARTA (they used to store their buses at Laredo when C-Tran was in business). Hopefully rail can be extended southward beyond the airport.

Yvette4887

MARTA Newbie
Clayton County definitely needs Marta out here. The are so many people that live in Clayton and depend on the bus to get them to work, home and back. Catching a taxi is expensive and the xpress bus is way to high and do not make stops unless at the station. I have to drive my mother 5 minutes to the xpress station cause no bus comes close to were we live. I have seen people walking in the dark early in the morning to the xpress station trying to catch the bus. The buses don't even run ever 30 minutes like Marta. So Clayton County need Marta.