Entertainment on MARTA?

SM Conductor

Administrator
Staff member
What do you think about allowing impromtu acts on MARTA? I've been to other transit systems, and they seem to allow people to set up show with a guitar, piano, even drums, and solicit money for their performances.

I haven't seen this on MARTA, but I wonder if it would liven up the mundane travel days during the week, or do you think it should remain outlawed?

Serenity

MARTA Newbie
What the beggars, ad hoc dj's, ametuer singers, loud cell phone conversationalist, candy, dvd, and sock vendors, not enough entertainment for you? :D

Seriously, I don't know if its right for Marta... it may annoy most people.

I've been to other cities and noticed various musicians performing to the delight of passengers and onlookers. However, I also agree with Serenity regarding the other element of distractions. A happy medium might be to provide entertainment at certain MARTA stations during holidays, particularly Christmas and July 4th. My family, friends and I always support musicians.

whfwm

MARTA Newbie
What the beggars, ad hoc dj's, ametuer singers, loud cell phone conversationalist, candy, dvd, and sock vendors, not enough entertainment for you? :D

Seriously, I don't know if its right for Marta... it may annoy most people.
Ha Ha. So true.
You forgot the crazies...there are many.

If you ever ride the Marta to or from Little 5 points area you will get all the entertainment you need. I have seen dancers, singers, poets even people who should be drama majors they way they are acting – for me that’s all the entertainment I can handle. When I was just moving to Atlanta and a freshmen in college a man flashed me as well, which was far from exciting.

Maria

MARTA Newbie
I think that might be unique on the trains, but the bus would be too cramped. But most people probably won't hear it because they have iPods in their ears. Most see this as a chance to relax before work.

carmen

MARTA Newbie
I feel that allowing people to set up "entertainment" inside Marta terminals is better than them begging me on the bus or train. Let them do something for the change they are asking for. Plus, you never know how much their entertainment may be the best laugh that you get all day; or the best entertainment that you get all day.

I personally think that kind of performance annoying me...
Better not allow them to improve your own quality...
That way, Marta will look more elite than any other stations that allowed it...
Well, that's just my opinion. Hope that helps!:)

Marta200

MARTA Newbie
Atlanta is a different cookie that New York and some of the other transit systems that seem to allow this type of entertainment. One of the major issues that comes to mind is the one of having a permit.

I know that in Los Angeles, in certain areas people need a permit to entertain in that manner.

I'm sometimes annoyed by those people who just sing or perform inside buses and public transportation out of nowhere but there are some who are surprisingly good that I wish I'm actually a producer to give them a break! In my city, there are lots of people doing it especially on the street and yes they have to get permit in doing so. But I really won't mind if the person is that good!

SM Conductor

Administrator
Staff member
Does anyone know if Atlanta has or allows permits for this kind of thing? Especially since the city wants to attract more tourists, it might be kinda cool if it doesn't get out of control.

What do you think about allowing impromtu acts on MARTA? I've been to other transit systems, and they seem to allow people to set up show with a guitar, piano, even drums, and solicit money for their performances.

I haven't seen this on MARTA, but I wonder if it would liven up the mundane travel days during the week, or do you think it should remain outlawed?
If they were to try this, they should mark the cars with the entertainment so that people can easily make the choice whether they want live music during their ride or not. The only problem I see with this is that the entertainers could get robbed of their tips late at night when it becomes less safe to travel on some of the routes.

I think it would be kinda cool to be able to see some of this stuff on MARTA but I could see how it might be annoying. If the music or other entertainment isn't up your alley and you weren't interested in watching it, you couldn't get away...and that would make for a very, very long ride. I'm with footballtim...if there was a way to make it a choice, I'd be 100% on board...but I can also see where this can cause some safety concerns: for the performers and the riders as well.

I would rather see people entertain me for the money rather than beg me for it. I actually like watching people play the piano and other instruments so I would probably enjoy seeing this.

Z

Zaturo

As a musician I say GO for it. I'm honestly not annoyed with people doing their thing on the transit for money. What does annoy me are those loudmouthed people with cellphone music turned up to max volume. It's almost as though they are trying to piss you off.

SM Conductor

Administrator
Staff member
If they were to try this, they should mark the cars with the entertainment so that people can easily make the choice whether they want live music during their ride or not. The only problem I see with this is that the entertainers could get robbed of their tips late at night when it becomes less safe to travel on some of the routes.
Now this is a pretty cool idea that I have never heard of before: marking the cars that are the "entertainment" cars. It actually might serve as a draw to the train. As long as they could have an officer on the train at the same time to ensure security.

SM Conductor, that is an amazing idea. To be able to enter cars and watch entertainers at will is a great compromise...the issue I would have is whether or not the entertainment would "spill over" into unmarked cars in the event specified cars were full. If there was a way to police this then I think that you have proposed a great solution

I agree you never know there performance may just brighten somebody day i'm all up for it only if it postive entertain we do have children who ride the trains and buses and I think it should only be allowed at the train stations the buses and trains already be to crowed for a performance but I think they should be allowed to inside the train stations it'll give most people a laugh

I feel that allowing people to set up "entertainment" inside Marta terminals is better than them begging me on the bus or train. Let them do something for the change they are asking for. Plus, you never know how much their entertainment may be the best laugh that you get all day; or the best entertainment that you get all day.

I think it should remain as it is, quiet and clean is how I like it. I know, I get grumpy every now and then :)
Maybe an exception for christmas would be nice.