tumblr site counter

GA 400 tolls going away in 2013? Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Vehicles & Highways' started by Toni6749, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Toni6749

Toni6749 MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $36
    I saw this story here http://www.11alive.com/rss/article/248915/40/Deal-GA-400-tolls-going-away-in-2013

It looks like Governor Deal is getting rid of the toll booths on GA 400, apart of me loves the idea because I live right by the tolls and I hate paying! UGH! But the other part of me wonders what kind of chaos this is going to cause traffic wise. GA 400 already isn’t the best traffic wise but at least the tolls caused people to think twice before actually going on 400. So I guess as always there’s pros and cons to the idea.

Any thoughts?

2. difrancprod

difrancprod MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $108
    Looks like it's going to be pretty chaotic with the traffic jam especially when people won't pay for that toll already! My thoughts are definitely half hearted on this one. Guess we just have to hope for the best outcome. I hope that the traffic won't be so bad!

3. SM Conductor

SM Conductor Administrator Staff Member

Tokens:
    $466
    This is an idea that is WAY overdue. I understand you completely Toni, but at the same time, the tolls were promised to be removed years ago, and they reneged on their promise. So basically when the tolls come down, it's just a fulfillment of what was already promised.

What I wish was done was for MARTA to go all the way up 400, instead of just part of the way, stopping at Medical Center (in terms of the trains going up the middle of the expressway).

4. novasparker

novasparker MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $121
    GA 400 is a navigational nightmare for people like me who don't really know their way around. Removing the toll will just make this nightmare worse. I don't travel it much as it is, but when I do have to, I know that I have to leave at least 30 minutes to an hour early to leave enough time to sit in traffic...and this isn't just during normal rush hour. I think that I will have to rethink my travel in 2013 when the toll is removed. Thanks for the heads up on this one.

5. SpringBreeze

SpringBreeze MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $22
    Wow! I actually like the idea. Tolls can be such a hassle between the stop and go and making sure you have enough money. For this reason, I usually avoid 400.

I used to have this fear of pulling up at a toll and realizing I didn't have enough money or the right amount of change. Fortunately, I rarely ever need to take 400 where the tolls are at. But if I worked or lived around the toll areas, I'd probably have mixed feelings too.

Thanks for posting this information.

6. novasparker

novasparker MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $121
    I would love it if Georgia did away with all of it's tolls, but the one on GA 400 would be awesome. Did anyone ever find out if the toll was repealed? I haven't been to Atlanta in quite some time and have to head back that way in a few weeks. Should I be prepared to have my toll ready or did they finally do away with it once and for all?

7. SM Conductor

SM Conductor Administrator Staff Member

Tokens:
    $466
    Yep, the toll on GA 400 is now gone. Only the tolls on 85 remain right now, but I believe more toll roads are either in the works or up for bids for other highways by private corporations.

8. novasparker

novasparker MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $121
    It's so exciting to see Georgia moving in the right direction, at least on one of the most travelled roads like 400. I wish that they would eliminate the toll roads altogether, but I guess if they city needs revenue to improve infrastructure, this is one way to do it. I'll just have to program my GPS to avoid them.

9. Yvette4887

Yvette4887 MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $41
    Eliminating the tolls was is a relief. I hate paying .50 back and forth when I do go down 400 which is not very often. When I think about the toll on 400, I realize it might not have been that bad compared to the toll system in Florida.
    We had to go through a total of 10 toll booths, and the tolls are located right when you exit and enter the highway. We did not know better, because we were lost. We kept exiting the highway to make sure we were not passing our exit. I believe we end up paying about $10 that day. So the Ga 400 toll does have its pros and cons.