tumblr site counter

How far would you go to follow your dream?

Discussion in 'Rants & Ramblings' started by SM Conductor, Apr 24, 2012.

1. SM Conductor

SM Conductor Administrator Staff Member

Tokens:
    $466
    At first I didn't know if this was such a good idea, but I have to say that I'm proud of anyone who is willing to take a calculated risk to follow their dream.

There is a young 23-year old woman who -- in an effort to attract the attention of Tyler Perry -- put up a billboard within two miles of Tyler Perry's studio. Since that time, she has received nationwide media attention and seems to be on the right path to actually achieving her dream. Even if she doesn't get that coveted position with Tyler Perry, just taking this extraordinary step is something that so many of us just don't do, for whatever reason.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Raquel's website: http://racquelbailey.com

What do you think? And how far have you gone in efforts to achieve your goals in life?

2. Toni6749

Toni6749 MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $36
    I have seen this billboard, and while I am not sure if it was the most logical it was definitely a step in getting her name out there. I have seen her on several media outlets here in Atlanta. I guess in a sense it was a bold yet innovative move on her her part. I haven't done anything so drastic but I did move to Atlanta with no family and a couple bucks in the bank chasing a dream, so I guess in a sense we all take some sorta of risk and hope it pans out.

3. whfwm

whfwm MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $59
    Well Tyler needs to stop trippin' and hire a sister all ready.
    It ain't like he is Spike Lee or John Singleton.
    His stories aren't even that deep...daym

4. Toni6749

Toni6749 MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $36
    Exactly, at least give her a shot. It couldn't hurt to throw her on House of Payne or something. The fresh face might actually help things!

5. whfwm

whfwm MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $59
    HoP is still on???
    Where the f have I been.

6. SM Conductor

Tokens:
    $466
    Well it's been a month, and I haven't really heard anything from this story. Has Tyler at least reached out to her?

So far on twitter she has 153 tweets, 202 are following her, and she is following 273 people. I really thought she was going to get more exposure than this! It looks like the media outlets just picked it up for a feel good story, then moved on.

If I'm Tyler, I'm at least gonna reach out to her and thank her for her thoughtful gesture. Wow. That's show business folks!

7. marchese

marchese MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $46
    here's the thing, all success comes from hard work. I realize that she might be a hard worker some where along the way, however this billboard is all the wrong kind of media and attention. Does she want to be known as the twit who put up the billboard or the talented actor that fought her way to the top the proper way. A billbioard? Really? Guess her talent is lacking hence the reason for the billboard. Ridiculous.

8. difrancprod

difrancprod MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $108
    This is definitely very resourceful. I hope she gets booked though because I think she put a good effort to be out there and tell the world she has what it takes. Although I'd rather place my money on taking the next flight out to LA or NY to audition or get into an acting school to gain connections than do this.

9. marchese

marchese MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $46
    honestly, i work in the talent agent industry....if an actor did this and then came to meet with me and told me she did this, I would never take her. Mainly bc it sounds like she's in it for the fame and fortune rather than the actual work it takes to be a good actor. It's ridiculous if you ask me.

10. NickJ

NickJ MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $62
    I think there are far more clever and effective aways to attract and draw attention to yourself than throwing up a billboard. Billboard's are for a website or a new store opening. If you're trying to get hired somewhere, best to try and use a connection or two to get hired. If you know any local politicians or anyone who is connected to a powerful politician. Just tell them to put in a good word for you at said establishment or business.

11. lanray

lanray MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $2
    For her type of industry, I ma not sure if this is right because every profession has a way it absorbs new and willing members. In this case she is yet to star in a script but already become a star.

12. SM Conductor

Tokens:
    $466
    So sad, her domain name racquelbailey.com is now gone. Even if she didn't add any more content, I think she could have still shelled out $10 bucks a year to hold on to her name.

@RacquelBailey1 is her Twitter handle, no movement since New Year's Eve...

2012. :(

13. charlesfrench

charlesfrench MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $5
    That young woman is doing the right thing. It doesn't matter what others think but you should always go as far as you need to to follow your dreams. Life is short and every day you waste is a day you have lost. This woman took initiative and it has made a positive change in her life. More people should take her advice and follow their own dreams to success.

14. novasparker

novasparker MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $121
    I thinkt that this is a great idea. It's creative and shows everyone how serious she is taking her career choice. She's smart and marketing savvy and my hat's off to her. I haven't put up a billboard in support of my freelance writing career, but it's definitely worth a thought or two. I might have to brush up my website and find out how much a billboard costs.