tumblr site counter

Initial impressions after riding The Atlanta Streetcar

Discussion in 'Streetcar' started by SM Conductor, Jan 2, 2015.

1. SM Conductor

SM Conductor Administrator Staff Member

After riding the Streetcar on the inaugural day, my initial impression is that:
    • it's clean
    • it looks nice
    • it's quiet
    • it's painfully slow
    The route is very limited...so limited that at one point, it passes the same point on the same street(Woodruff Park @ Auburn Ave/Park Place) as it makes the loop.

Also, the speed of the Streetcar leaves much to be desired. I think there is something wrong when you can run the entire route quicker than the Streetcar can.

CEO of MARTA Keith Parker is trying desperately to attract millennials to the transit system. According to this article, this is how Mr. Parker sees this group of people:
    However, I have to disagree wholeheartedly.

The Streetcar should be something that is a combination of both form AND function. If tourists (and locals) can get from one point to another expeditiously for about $1, that's a major selling point. But if it takes about an hour to make the entire 2.7 mile trip, what's the point? I'd rather use any of the competing services, such as regular MARTA, a taxi,or Uber.

Have you ridden the Atlanta Streetcar yet? What are your initial impressions?