Keep the 50/50 MARTA revenue split?

Should MARTA be freed from the 50/50 requirement?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes with modification

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No with modification

• No

• Total voters

MattW

MARTA Newbie
As you may or may not know, the Georgia Legislature requires MARTA to spend no more than 50% of its revenue on operations and maintenance, and the remaining 50% on capital projects. Do you think MARTA should be forced to continue like this?

I personally voted yes with modification. I think the split is a good idea as it should allow for projects MARTA might not otherwise be able to pursue if the bulk of the budget is spend on O&M. However, if the state is going to continue with that requirement, then they should have the responsibility of funding MARTA for any deficits they incur.

SM Conductor

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with you. The state needs to put it's money where it's mouth is. There is no denying that Atlanta is the economic engine for the state. No other city gets a mention like Atlanta does, and even our mention as a city is muted when talking about major cities of the nation.

30 years later, and MARTA is a shell of what it was supposed to be. With continued investment from all counties and the state, Atlanta could be way more world class than it is today. We might have even had 2 airports by now. But as they say, the more things change, the more they stay the same.

I SECOND THIS
I agree with you. The state needs to put it's money where it's mouth is. There is no denying that Atlanta is the economic engine for the state. No other city gets a mention like Atlanta does, and even our mention as a city is muted when talking about major cities of the nation.

30 years later, and MARTA is a shell of what it was supposed to be. With continued investment from all counties and the state, Atlanta could be way more world class than it is today. We might have even had 2 airports by now. But as they say, the more things change, the more they stay the same.