tumblr site counter

Let's be honest...

Discussion in 'Streetcar' started by SM Conductor, Mar 28, 2012.

1. SM Conductor

SM Conductor Administrator Staff Member

Tokens:
    $466
    How would the Streetcar help Atlanta?

Here are a few of the "official" ways that Atlanta would be served by adding the Streetcar to our streets:
    1. deliver passengers closer to the front door of their destinations by providing a distribution system and connecting to the Atlanta region’s existing and future mass transit infrastructures.
    2. connect our three crown jewels – Downtown, Midtown and Buckhead – along our grand boulevard in a manner befitting their unique cultures.
    3. reduce traffic congestion and pollution in the Atlanta region.
    4. capture economic development opportunities - commercial, housing, recreational, and tourism - thereby expanding the region’s employment and tax base.
    5. provide an enjoyable means of transportation that fits the scale of our desired urban developments, enhances a pedestrian-friendly community, appeals to the senses, attracts ridership and becomes a part of Atlantans’ everyday life.
    6. provide an entertaining, enjoyable, and simple means of displaying Atlanta’s finest wares to residents and visitors alike.
    7. educate the public on the inherent benefits of restoring streetcar service to the Peachtree corridor.
    Awesome! But here are some points that really need to be addressed also:
    1. I hardly call a route along one road (Peachtree) and a loop to be a "distribution system"
    2. "Connect our three crown jewels... in a manner benefiting their unique cultures?" Um, the 110 Peachtree MARTA route does the same thing: http://www.itsmarta.com/BusSchedules_StreetMap.aspx?route=110
    3. What happens when it rains? The Streetcar will take up one entire lane on Peachtree, effectively making it a 2 lane road in spots. Plus, Atlanta traffic is horrendous in the rain, and no one will want to jump on the Streetcar to get their hair wet
    4. The same economic development opportunities that exist today will also exist after the Streetcar is here, because it is not reinventing the wheel. It is simply being constructed on a road that is already heavily utilized.
    5. MARTA aims to get you to and fro...quickly (don't laugh). The Streetcar since it's inception has always been a means to attract tourism. Tourists. If the locals don't ride, how will it "attract ridership?"
    6. After you ride the Streetcar one or two times, will the novelty wear off? Especially if it costs more than MARTA?
    7. I think this should be done BEFORE the Streetcar hits the streets.
    What do you think? Be honest... :)

Facts Source: Atlantastreetcar.org

2. homefrog

homefrog MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $10
    To be honest I love what your saying. Your actually right about this and yeah they should reduce traffic so then the street cars can ride smoothly and reduce the delay time. I think people like tourist will not wait for a street car to take them places. So they really need to reduce the traffic on the streets that will be a hugefactor.

3. difrancprod

difrancprod MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $108
    This could solve the problem of a massive traffic jam as well as pollution. I hope people would realized this soon though before it's too late that we'll be like other big cities with massive pollution problem. It's time to step up!

4. SM Conductor

Tokens:
    $466
    I'm not sure that the Streetcar could solve traffic problems, right now it seems more aimed at tourists than locals. But pollution, yes it could reduce pollution over the long run.

5. swaugh3

swaugh3 MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $37
  6. swaugh3

swaugh3 MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $37
    We all better hope that this turns out as successful as Portland, because it reminds me too much of the Atlanta Tourist Loop, which was cancelled a few years ago.

7. SM Conductor

Tokens:
    $466
    Let's hope the decision makers are watching. Atlanta definitely has a density issue in the downtown core, but with more students at Georgia State and Tech, plus the popularity of our festivals and events (and I guess the new Ferris wheel also), maybe more usage can turn into more usability.

8. novasparker

novasparker MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $121
    I agree that having steet cars will help alleviate some congestion if people are willing to use them. Otherwise they are simply putting more cars in already overcrowded areas and clogging them up even more. I think that the city needs to do more than just offer them. They need to offer incentives to people for riding them. This will encourage more use.

9. Katrina Lay

Katrina Lay MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $18
    I don't see myself riding the streetcars all the time maybe because I like to walk to navigate downtown. I would like to ride it a few time just to say oh this is what it feel like to ride a streetcar. I heard about the elder talk about the streetcars back in the day so it would be pretty cool to get on one. I do think the tourist will get a kick out of riding the streetcars that if they never been on one before.

10. Yvette4887

Yvette4887 MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $41
    Very good facts both ways. Me personally, I would like to ride the streetcar, but not in bad weather. Like you said, who wants their hair wet, especially mines. I can see traffic decreasing, but at the same time it can stay the same. People may feel that they can get around faster by taking short cuts ways, while the street car just goes one way. And the thought of tourist taking up majority of the ride is a big concern and the price. It will be a new experience for Georgians. If it is suppose to take you closer to the door of your destination then that might eliminate the worries of those who have to walk so far to get where they are going.

When I traveled to Baltimore, Maryland, I got a chance to ride a streetcar or a trolly, what it is called there. It was a fun and interesting experience. At the time we were on it there was nobody riding but us, except this nasty lady who had no teeth and she was spitting chewing tobacco in empty sprite bottle while sitting in front of us. And the ride only cost .50 which took us around a good wide range of the area. Since we were tourists it really gave us a better look of downtown Maryland. We enjoyed it and wanted to take it again. I do believe it had windows, so if the streetcar here is the same way then that eliminates the weather situation.

11. swaugh3

swaugh3 MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $37
    Contrasting from Toronto again, I will add that Downtown Atlanta isn't dense at all seeing that there is very little residence there, where as Downtown Toronto is both much larger in area and uber dense throughout, while continually building more offices and condo highrises. In fact, Downtown and Midtown Atlanta combined (Atlantic Station maybe too) can geographically fit inside Downtown Toronto.

12. SM Conductor

Tokens:
    $466
    Atlanta is trying to catch up now. With MARTA placing emphasis on more development around their stations (about time!), hopefully this will turn the urban core into a more usable one.

The facts don't lie: more young people would rather use transit than drive, and the younger generation is the coveted one of many cities. MARTA is finally going in the right direction.

13. NickJ

NickJ MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $62
    Not sure why people are so against a streetcar system. It'll be expensive but not as expensive as some other projects people could come up with.