tumblr site counter

Magnetic Cards

Discussion in 'MARTA Trains & Buses' started by difrancprod, Jul 26, 2012.

1. difrancprod

difrancprod MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $108
    Other countries are using magnetic cards to save their fares in there. I wonder if Marta is already doing that? In my opinion it saves a lot of time!

2. SM Conductor

SM Conductor Administrator Staff Member

Tokens:
    $466
    The Breeze cards are not magnetic, but it does save fares and works between some systems (CCT).

3. novasparker

novasparker MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $121
    I think the use of these types of cards is a great thing...until you lose one. You have to make the cards "replacement friendly" as well as offer holders the ability to transfer fares to a new card if the old one gets lost. This is the only way that implementing these things will work.

4. Brandy Alford

Brandy Alford MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $10
    I think they would be more expensive. I don't want the fare on marta to go up anymore than it needs too. The breeze cards are fine.

5. swaugh3

swaugh3 MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $37
    Didn't the old farecards use to be magnetic?

6. SM Conductor

SM Conductor Administrator Staff Member

Tokens:
    $466
    The Breeze cards are the first transit cards that MARTA has ever had. Before that, MARTA used tokens (our forum currency is a nod to that old era). There used to be paper cards as well, but those were eliminated either last year or the year before, in favor of the plastic Breeze cards used today.

7. novasparker

novasparker MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $121
    The Breeze cards are a great way to carry your fare, but I am thinking that the magnetic cards may provide a greater benefit...of course there will be a cost to upgrade the cards, which will be passed down to all of us who use them, but in the end, if you can avoid having to carry cash and have greater protections against loss or theft with a magnetic card, then why wouldn't you want to use one?

8. Katrina Lay

Katrina Lay MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $18
    I would like to see how the magnetic card stand up to the breeze cards. I kind of missed the old system of the tokens and the paper weekly or monthly Marta cards. I have been running into errors with my breeze card. So anything other than using a breeze card would be cool to check out.