tumblr site counter

MARTA gives bikes to the needy for the holidays

Discussion in 'In the News' started by SM Conductor, Dec 24, 2013.

1. SM Conductor

SM Conductor Administrator Staff Member

Tokens:
    $466
    A little-known fact is that MARTA has been donating bikes and toys to needy families for over 30 years. Last Friday, the tradition continued with about 600 bicycles being displayed in the atrium of MARTA headquarters, before departing to their final destinations under the Christmas trees of deserving families.

[​IMG]

Source: WABE.org

2. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrake MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $5
    Are these bicycles all for children or are any of them for adults who would greatly benefit from having a good bicycle? America needs to rediscover the bicycle as transportation.

3. SM Conductor

SM Conductor Administrator Staff Member

Tokens:
    $466
    Typically these types of things are for the kids, but you can't really tell by the picture how big the bikes are.

4. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrake MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $5
    I blog on alternative energy and environmental topics. Bicycles save on gasoline, are non-polluting, and provide healthy exercise. I am willing to bet that the trails built as part of this project are bike friendly. part of the beltway project should be to encourage bicycle use.

5. Katrina Lay

Katrina Lay MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $18
    Marta been donating bikes for over 30 years, I never heard about that. How cool of Marta. How do Marta pick a family or kid to get a bike? You learn something new everyday, that just put a small on my face.

6. Yvette4887

Yvette4887 MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $41
    I think that is great that Marta is giving back. If they are for children, which I am sure they are, they will really appreciate the gift. If they do not get much for Christmas at least they did get a brand new shiny bike. What child would not want a bike! I can imagine the employees faces when they came to work that day and saw all those 600 bikes displayed in the lobby. That would of put a smile on my face even if they were not for me.