tumblr site counter

No jail time for HERO killer

Discussion in 'Vehicles & Highways' started by SM Conductor, Apr 9, 2012.

1. SM Conductor

SM Conductor Administrator Staff Member

Tokens:
    $466
    This state continues to amaze me with who goes to jail and who doesn't:

I guess this can be seen both ways, and try to place yourself in Sherwood's shoes. Haven't you been there before? Have you ever made a mistake that was not related to drugs or alcohol or lack of sleep, that you wish you could take back?

Do you think the judge made the right decision?

Source: AJC

2. whfwm

whfwm MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $59
    No I think money walks in the Lands of the Atliens. I'm not even kidding. I don't think he would have received the same sentence(or lack thereof) anywhere else in America...only in Atlanta.

3. Maria

Maria MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $48
    I think he does have a lot to clear up though. He didn't get away scott free. I have done community service and it can be brutal. We have too many people in prison as it is. If it was accident, let the sentence fit the crime.

4. novasparker

novasparker MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $121
    I think that for non violent offenders that jail time is not prudent. I don't know all the facts of this case, but if this truly was na accident, then this guy has to carry the burden of the loss of the other man's life forever, in addition to community service and financial penalties. If it wasn't an accident, then I would have to wonder why the verdict and sentencing were made as they were...like I said, I don't know all the details but I think that the punishment probably fits the crime.

5. prostreet

prostreet MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $0
    I guess the judge knows better than me, so I trust his/her decision. Besides we are humans and we do make mistakes, but I wonder what the victim's family thinks about this verdict.

6. novasparker

novasparker MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $121
    Its truly sad when someone dies in a senseless accident, but it was just an accident. Unfortunately bad things happen in this world and people experience injuries that they cannot survive. This man didn't do anything intentionally wrong that would have caused this man's death and while there should be a consequence when someone's life ends, unless it is malicious or gross misconduct such as if he had been using drugs or alcohol while driving, then I think the punishment is appropriate if not a little harsh. It doesn't ease the pain of the family, but it is what it is.

7. lanray

lanray MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $2

I do not think carrying the burden of the loss of another man's life forever is enough. Just like you, I do not know the fact of the case but some people can be so callous and forget the whole thing in a few days time. Now what justice has the family of the dead received. In reaching a judgement, the family of the deceased should be put into consideration as to their plight as a result of the loss.

8. novasparker

novasparker MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $121
    I agree with your sentiment, lanray. I believe that the family deserves some justice. But understand that if there was no mal-intent on the part of the guy who was involved in the accident, then what justice is there for locking him up? Does the guy deserve to spend time in prision if there were circumstances beyond his control and he just ended up killing someone, just to allow the family the ability to see someone punished for a "crime". I have been on the victim side of an arguement like this...my brother in law was killed in a car accident when the other guy had a medical emergency and lost control of the car. I was angry and I was hurt, but the guy that hit him couldn't help the situation. I didn't believe then and I don't believe now that he should have spent a minute in a prison cell for this. Sometimes true accidents do happen.

9. Yvette4887

Yvette4887 MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $41
    If it was truly an accident then he should not get jail time, but some type of punishment. But I know for the victims family all they see is murder even if it was a freak accident, because they need justice. We all make mistakes, and I would hate for anybody to make a mistake by hitting somebody with their car. I really do not remember the story, but I do remember hearing on the news about a lot of incidents like this happening which is why we have a law in Georgia that require drivers to get over in the next lane if a car is park on the side of the expressway. There have been incidents which people were killed trying to change a tire, or waiting for a tow truck or help with their car. Even incidents which a good samaritan helping in a accident or changing a tire for somebody and they get killed. So the law that was pass was good to enforce, but you still have to worry about all those drivers that still will not follow the rules.