tumblr site counter

Old Marta Bus

Discussion in 'Buses/Shuttles' started by Yvette4887, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Yvette4887

Yvette4887 MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $41
    Do any body remember seeing or riding Marta buses that look like this?
    I was always scared of the middle part because I though it would detach while the bus was in motion or a car would ram through it. They actually had seats on the middle area of the bus, and I never wanted to seat there, but as a kid I had no choice.
    [​IMG]

2. SM Conductor

SM Conductor Administrator Staff Member

Tokens:
    $466
    I remember seeing AND riding buses like that. Sometimes in the 90's they were taken out of service, I supposed because there was not enough riders to justify their usage, and I thought I heard that they were hard to maintain.

In Chicago, those buses are still frequently used. What is neat and scary to me is when they make 90-degree turns. Neat because the front part of the bus is "bent" around the corner while the back half catches up. Scary because... what if the middle part breaks?

3. Yvette4887

Yvette4887 MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $41
    I do remember it making those turns and the front was around the corner while the back had to catch up. And I feared the same about it breaking apart. I don't think a bus should be that long on the street or no transportation if it has to make sharp turns. I would like to always sit in the front part because if the middle did break at least I would be on the part where the bus driver could use the brakes and control the front wheels. I had safety all planned out when it came to riding on this bus. :)