tumblr site counter

security on marta

Discussion in 'MARTA Trains & Buses' started by footballtim, Aug 21, 2012.

1. footballtim

footballtim MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $26
    I lived in Atlanta for a very short time in 2005. I noticed that some of the stations that could use some security do not seem to have it or do not have enough of it. It is a simple concept that more people will take Marta if they feel safe. You can never have enough security, but Marta needs to consider that too many bad things can happen to people alone in a Marta car late at night.

2. novasparker

novasparker MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $121
    I agree. I am not a Atlanta resident per se, but I travel to Atlanta a lot for business. I use Marta to get round the city because, to be quite honest, driving in Atlanta just scares me...plus parking is always a pain in the rear. But when I travel on the Marta late at night, I often wonder where the Marta cops are...I feel terribly exposed and not very safe. Maybe someone could suggest to them that they have security riding along, at least in the late hours of the night, to help people like me feel safer.

3. Zaturo

Zaturo Guest

I do not live in Atlanta but I know how it is to travel at night. There are hardly any people at the transit stations after 6:00 pm. The security is just some old man making sure that everything is in working order.

4. SM Conductor

SM Conductor Administrator Staff Member

Tokens:
    $466
    MARTA has some real budget issues, and while that's no excuse for the lack of security, that is one reasoning for it.

Also there was a shooting at the Kensington station a couple of days ago, which might have been averted if there was more security on MARTA. They are set to install security camera on all of the trains, buses and stations, but you just gotta wonder: it's 2012, why hasn't this simple step been done before now?

5. charlesfrench

charlesfrench MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $5
    The best security is to be aware of your surroundings. A security camera isn't going to protect you if you're being attacked. Always be aware of the people around you and never enter any shady situations where you feel uncomfortable. Stay in well-light areas and don't walk around distracted by your phone or mp3 player.

6. novasparker

novasparker MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $121
    Your best advice to stay safe is to remain alert and observe the things going on around you. Having extra security on a MARTA train will help deter some, but crime happens under any circumstance and there is no excuse for being lazy or unobservant. You are your best security and taking the time to be aware of your surroundings is step one.

7. Yvette4887

Yvette4887 MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $41
    I agree that security in Marta needs to improve. I guess now since they have the breeze card system it is suppose to help keep homeless people out. But you still have to worry about everybody else. I have not used Marta Transit system in a long time, so I am not sure how security is now, but back then it did need some improvement. I think the buses should have a police on it to ride each route and they can change shifts, because things can and has happen on them. I can remember seeing all kind of crazy stuff on the bus, train, and train station.

8. novasparker

novasparker MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $121
    I think that having a physical police presence on the MARTA trains themselves would be a great deterrent for many would be theives and other criminal types. Criminals take advantage of having a captive audience that has no acccess to poklice protection and MARTA provides that exact environment. However just by having a security guard or police presence visibile, most would leave these folks alone in favor of easier pickings.

9. Katrina Lay

Katrina Lay MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $18
    OK all have some great ideal for making Marta safe. Marta has been around for a long time and I don't think Marta going any where no time soon. When Marta had change the route of neighborhood that they services, I would have thought that would have helped the budget cut. From my observation the Marta buses look real nice. Some of the station look the same while other are well keep up. I just feel like Marta have some type of money and I think they could afford as many security person or thing to help keep Marta safe.
    When I was young one of my favorite bus lady driver was rob, since she had my family number and she was on our route we rush to her aid. She was OK. Around this time the cell phone was coming into play. We told her since she on the night shift we would look after her and tell the community to look after her too. I guess it work.
    My suggestion would be what everybody is saying to help keep Marta employees & commuter safe. I would alert the community in which Marta service. The ideal of having real security on Marta will help but I think if a Marta police could ride in the back of the Marta buses and alert the bus driver & riders that they are on route. Maybe some really cool metal detector at train station, on buses & trains. I think it time for Marta to come up with a really cool app that will help Marta employees & riders.

10. NickJ

NickJ MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $62

Truth right here. Security is expensive, gotta pay people the right salary to do a job like that. Especially, in today's society where some people behave like they were raised by wolves.