tumblr site counter

Streetcar costs balloon and debut is delayed

Discussion in 'Streetcar' started by SM Conductor, Mar 6, 2014.

1. SM Conductor

SM Conductor Administrator Staff Member

Tokens:
    $466
    The Atlanta Streetcar's debut has been delayed until the Summer of 2014 due to the epic winter weather. The yearly operating costs are projected to be $3 million (up from $1.7 million), but the biggest sticker shock is the construction costs, which shot up from $60 million to $100 million.

According to curbed, the first three months of service will be free, and after that it will cost just $1 to ride. At that rate, it will only take ONE HUNDRED MILLION RIDES just to pay for the project. The U.S. Census Bureau reports that the official Atlanta population numbers for 2012 stand at just 443,775, many of which don't even ride MARTA at all. However, if the entire population of Atlanta did ride the Streetcar at least once per year, it would only take 225 years to pay for the project.

I hope they at least purchased an extended warranty on the street cars.

Source: Atlanta INtown

2. Yvette4887

Yvette4887 MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $41
    It is surprising how the price of construction and the project it self has gone up. We should have all known that was going to happen. They are depending on Atlanta residents and tourists to pay for the project. And $1 to ride is to high for me. In Baltimore, Maryland they charge .50 to ride. But you know after the first year of riding for free I believe the price of riding will go up like everything else.

3. jlmoore06

jlmoore06 MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $1

I agree, I wouldn't be surprised that the price would shoot up after a year. The $1 is just a lure to get people use to riding it before it goes up to $10/ride (sarcastically speaking).

4. NickJ

NickJ MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $62
    I hope the project comes together, this will be awesome for the city of Atlanta.