tumblr site counter

Streetcar or MARTA? The great hope or just hype?

Discussion in 'Streetcar' started by SM Conductor, Mar 28, 2012.

1. SM Conductor

SM Conductor Administrator Staff Member

Tokens:
    $466
    The Streetcar is coming, and with it comes much fanfare:
    • The Streetcar will create thousands of jobs
    • The Streetcar will bring millions -- if not billions -- to the city
    • The Streetcar will give workers a reason to leave work during the day for lunch
    • The Streetcar will encourage tourists to stay longer in the city
    I'm not making this up, check out this video:

Do you think the Streetcar is really going to be a solution that helps to revive interest in coming and staying downtown, or is it just more hype and hoopla?

2. difrancprod

difrancprod MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $108
    I think that streetcar is such a promising innovation in the city. I hope that they really pursue with this and not just give us false hopes. This is going to ease some of the burden especially to our daily commuters.

3. thegreendiva

thegreendiva MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $14
    Honestly, I think it is a waste of my tax dollars. Everything is being implemented with great convenience to the north (above I-20) but nothing is being done for the southside. We have Atlantans that live below i-20. I don't see people getting on this streetcar. Sorry, I don't.

4. MattW

MattW MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $39
    Most of the traffic problems are north of I-20. Sorry that we have to fix the problems first before throwing money at regions where there aren't as many problems.

5. SM Conductor

Tokens:
    $466
    I will agree with both Matt and thegreendiva... however I will say that I-75 south near Southlake can be a nightmare at times, especially during holidays.

Even though Atlanta doesn't stop @ I-20, with the loss of the T-SPLOST, who knows what areas will ever get any relief. There was recently talk of the lightrail still being constructed near Emory, but only 9 miles or so I believe. One thing is for sure, this city needs money for transportation solutions and it needs it now.

6. marchese

marchese MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $46
    well all i can say is that the streetcars in our city work beautifully, created jobs and aid in great transportation. I say don't knock it till you've tried it.

7. SM Conductor

Tokens:
    $466
    What city are you from?

8. footballtim

footballtim MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $26
    It will add to one thing which Marta is already doing, which is help cut down the overcrowded roads in Atlanta. All cities should expand their public transportation a lot more than they do. I live in Key West, and the bus system is an absolute joke. Someone here needs to do something with it.

9. lori hart

lori hart MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $10
    I think streetcars would be great. We need some other forms of transportation to get around. In Atlanta if you dont have a car your out of luck. We really dont have a reliable form of transportation once you get into the suburbs.

10. novasparker

novasparker MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $121
    Hopefully there is some truth to it, but honestly it looks like a great marketing pitch and not much more than that. I think that the idea of street cars is great and they would really be a huge help when it comes to thinning out the traffic and congestion associated with travel in Atlanta, but I don;t know how long it would take for them to catch on.

11. swaugh3

swaugh3 MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $37
    Honestly, I'd argue that the south side gets more (and better) bus coverage than the north side.

12. SpringBreeze

SpringBreeze MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $22
    I think the street car idea could be great. If we can get them to look cute and tourist-y even better. Let's face it, people like cute stuff. If it looks attractive more people would be willing to use it. This is also the perfect opportunity to re-invent the idea of public transportation. A lot of people living in the city, who can afford the costs of a car, see public transportation in a negative light. There's a whole perception already formed around it. But street cars would be something new, a chance... San Francisco is known for its street car/cable car. Many tourists see it as something they need to do before leaving the city. We can create that same feel here.

13. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrake MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $5
    Streetcars were the way of life in cities in the early 20th century. I remember them in the 50s. I guess old ideas have a way of resurfacing. Will they have names? What about one named "desire'?

14. novasparker

novasparker MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $121
    So, I used to live in Knoxville and they have street cars...we call them trolleys. They same pitch was made back when we put them into service but at the end of the day, these are just buses with fancy exteriors. I don't believe that there are any more people that ride them than would have ridden the busses that were serving the area before they were introduced. They are really nostalgic looking and add to the ambience of downtown, but at the end of the day, they are just busses.

15. SM Conductor

Tokens:
    $466
    That is one thing that you never saw on the news, reports from real people who lived in the areas where streetcars are in operation, and the "real" usage and perception te citizens of that area has. We were always told about the positives of the project, but not how it affects people in their day-to-day lives. Thanks for that.

16. novasparker

novasparker MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $121
    It's my pleasure. My grandmother used to love to ride the street cars but I think it's because it reminded her of the older days but when I would take her to ride it, the only people that rode were the people who would have ridden any form of public transporatation that ran their routes. I will say that the street car service was particularly useful during UT football weekend because they would designate cars to take people from remote parking areas to the stadium, but that's about the only positive thing I can say about them.

17. AskTheTicketGuy

AskTheTicketGuy MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $2
    I live downtown and though I am excited about the street car project I do not have much hope for it.
    Why? Just look at the history of Atlanta. The city is poorly planned, our public transportation system is poorly planned, the Olympics were a mess and so on and so on. We do have a great airport (could be better) and Centennial Park is nice but this city usually bungles most major projects.
    Basically this city simply seems to have existed to take on great projects for the purposes of graft, bribery and to loot the taxpayers without truly delivering.
    Streetcar systems can be great, Portland is awesome for example, but the city is not spread out like Atlanta and the city is already great for walking.
    I can see where it could work, I just do not have much hope that this city will make it work.
    With proper planning this city could have been great, our highways would not be so busy and it could have been ready for a beautiful streetcar project, as is, I have my doubts.

18. novasparker

novasparker MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $121
    I can see why you are frustrated AsktheTicketGuy, but let me ask you this...do you think that the city was poorly planned from the get go or do you think that it is just expanding too fast for the city to keep up? I tend to believe the latter. Atlanta has always been a bigger city, but I don't think that a large Southern city was planning to become the burgeoning communications hub that it has turned into. And I don't think that it's slowing down any at all. The population is outgrowing the infrastructure at a pace that makes it almost impossible to try and keep up with. Which is why they are looking at more and more public transportation opportunities. It's not going to be long before Atlanta is the next NYC.