tumblr site counter

Train Fare

Discussion in 'MARTA Trains & Buses' started by difrancprod, Jul 29, 2012.

1. difrancprod

difrancprod MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $108
    Train fares could come really expensive especially if you will travel from one state to another. I don't exactly know Marta's rate when it comes to this, I wonder if this would even be available using this company's service.

2. MattW

MattW MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $39
    MARTA doesn't have any interstate travel. The fare is $2.50 which is standard for transit systems.

3. difrancprod

difrancprod MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $108
    Thanks for your response! Now I know that they don't have interstate travel service. I hope they do develop it soon!

4. MattW

MattW MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $39
    They won't. MARTA is a local transit agency geared for local transportation service. MARTA rail wouldn't work much beyond 20 miles from Atlanta with local buses feeding them. Even places where there is extensive interstate service, it is typically handled by separate subagencies such as New York's MTA, they handle local buses, long distance buses, commuter rail, and subways, but they are separate subagencies like the NYC Subway, Long Island Railroad, and Metro North. The better option would be to create a state agency (GRTA?), roll MARTA into it, and have a subagency handle say, long-distance bus service (XPress), and intercity rail.

5. SM Conductor

SM Conductor Administrator Staff Member

Tokens:
    $466
    Matt, good suggestions, but unfortunately they make too much sense. Can you dumb it down a little for the commissioners and state reps? Maybe cause it to make less sense? :p

And LOL @ interstate travel. MARTA barely has intercounty travel!

6. difrancprod

difrancprod MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $108
    Sigh... I hope one day that becomes available really. Thanks for explaining it well Matt and giving out those suggestions. It's just now that I'm knowing these things.

7. novasparker

novasparker MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $121
    I don't think that the intent of Marta is to expand much beyond the areas it already services. It's not like it's the Greyhound bus service...it's just a better way to navigate congested cities like Atlanta without the fear of getting run over if you are a defensive driver like myself. Plus, I don't know about you, but finding one Peachtree or Dunwoody street over another is extremely difficult. I gladly pay the $2.50 to ride and leave the worries behind when it comes to traveling through Atlanta.

8. Zaturo

Zaturo Guest

Only $2.50? Yeah, that sounds similar to the price we used to pay. Actually, I'm pretty sure it used to be $4.00 or something similar. That was probably for the day pass.

9. swaugh3

swaugh3 MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $37
    If Clayton County wants to join MARTA like I read (and I don't see any reason why they wouldn't/shouldn't), then it should be a reason to promote rail extension southward.

10. Akiyama

Akiyama MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $1
    Marta pretty much only runs in the city of Atlanta. So there isn't really anything to be said about interstate travel there.

Greyhound is more of the preferred option in that area, and that costs around $100 to ride.

Akiyama

11. lanray

lanray MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $2
    Their fare is cheap enough when compared to other cities. This is a good bargain compared to the hassles of having to drive around especially during peak periods.

12. SM Conductor

SM Conductor Administrator Staff Member

Tokens:
    $466
    Take a look at our Transit Comparison. You can see that MARTA is actually among the highest of fares when compared to other systems around the country that are larger and cover more areas. :mad:

13. novasparker

novasparker MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $121
    My personal opinion is that while MARTA may rank up there in terms of how much they charge, it is still considerably less than most other options, including personal vehicles. I think that MARTA has had some fits and starts and needs to expand...and I think they will eventually, but they have to deal with some of the initial issues first before trying to offer services outside the immediate Atlanta area.