tumblr site counter

Woman gets $12k tip, but police seize it

Discussion in 'Rants & Ramblings' started by SM Conductor, Apr 5, 2012.

1. SM Conductor

SM Conductor Administrator Staff Member

Tokens:
    $466
    A woman working as a waitress was presented with a $12,000 tip, but it was seized when she called the police.

To a lot of people, the moral of this story (and many others) is not to involve the police in the first place. The money was not "lost," and no waitress that I know of has ever called the police when the person giving the tip was a entertainer or sports figure.

What would you do?

Full story here: http://news.yahoo.com/minnesota-wai...2-000-tip-212757225--abc-news-topstories.html

2. whfwm

whfwm MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $59
    Whew I know she was hot!
    I guess it could have been worse.
    They could have said that she stole it and charged her with grand theft larceny.

3. NickJ

NickJ MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $62
    LMAO! I feel sorry for this lady. Not laughing at her situation but her decision to call five-O. Come on! Cops are DIRTY! PERIOD! You think cops are gonna return $12,000 to a civilian? NOT! I know NYPD or LAPD wouldn't. So APD can't be any different. Cops these days serve and protect themselves and other cops above the general public. There's no way they're gonna return her money. EVER. Forget it, she lost out. Sucks for her. I hope she learned a valuable lesson from all this.

• Like Like x 1
  4. marchese

marchese MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $46
    listen if someone is going to give me $12,000, then i'm going to take it. It's their problem if its stolen, not mine.

5. difrancprod

difrancprod MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $108
    Wow! Well if it was given then she shouldn't have brought it to the police. And so if it was drug money according to them, it was given to her and it's not like she stole it. sigh...

6. marchese

marchese MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $46
    exactly....she should have run with that money.....wow how i could use 12,000 right now....lol

7. NickJ

NickJ MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $62

It wasn't drug money. That was a BS excuse the cops made up so they could keep the cash. You know the cops probably spent that money by now on drugs or strippers or whatever. But that drug money excuse is played out. That's just their way of saying you'll never see this money again, and it's ours now.

8. difrancprod

difrancprod MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $108
    It's really sad how police officers are doing all these BS! But it's definitely a lesson to be learned.

9. NickJ

NickJ MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $62
    Yep. I always said if I found a wad of cash I'm keeping it. And the only person I'd call up on the phone and tell would be my mom. Nobody else. And the only reason I'd tell her is so I can have one other person know I found the money and it wasn't stolen by me or anything. If I find a wallet with money in it that's a whole nother issue. But a bag of money anywhere is finders keepers.

10. lanray

lanray MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $2
    I only hope she gets back the money. The cops do not have the right to take the money from her as long as she did not steal it and she has disclosed the source. The cops should look for the for the giver of the tip and question him instead

11. charlesfrench

charlesfrench MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $5
    Is anyone surprised that the police seized it? The woman made a mistake by calling the police and telling them she found the money. I wonder what the reason she had to call the police was. Of course they took it and the city has probably already spent in to "serve and protect". It's unfortunate she lost her money but she had it coming when she willingly handed it over.

12. novasparker

novasparker MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $121
    $12,000 is a lot of money to leave as a tip, but to be honest, I don't know if I would have called the police. I think she probably did the right thing, but I guess I would just assume that the tip was meant for me and that the stars were aligned for me that day. They should have definitely rewarded her for turning it in rather than just confiscating it.

13. Katrina Lay

Katrina Lay MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $18
    Maybe the waitress did not get a tip in the first place. How many waitress you know run out of the restaurant telling you that you forgot your food? I could see something important like a purse or wallet and she run out door to give it to a customer. Then she decide to check inside the box, to see it was cash. She did what and call the police, OK for what? I think if she did not want to keep the money and the lady said she could have it. She could have spit some of the money with her co-worker, if she thought it was to much. How in the world did the police decided it was drug money? I don't know what to say about this but $12k could have help her out.

14. Yvette4887

Yvette4887 MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $41
    The problem is she said something. I personally would have not said a thing. I would considered it a tip, which customers are free to leave if they want and I would considered it a blessing. I would keep my lips sealed. Not saying that I take what is not mines, but if it was left there for me then its mines and has nothing to do with anybody else or law enforcement. Its like me finding money on the side of the road. If I see it and it has no wallet or purse then I am going to keep it. Money does not have the last owner name, address and etc., it is yours to keep. But if I see somebody drop money or it is in somebody's purse or wallet that they mistakenly left behind then I will not keep it and find the rightful owner of the property. When any money is found, you will never get it back. I was just thinking about situations when people have found money, turned it in to law enforcement and the rightful owner comes forward to claim it. Or the person who found the money give it to the rightful owner themselves, and they get absolutely nothing back in return. They could have kept it, but decided to do the right thing and give it back so they should at least be offered a tip back. That would be the right thing to do, in my opinion.

15. NickJ

NickJ MARTA Newbie

Tokens:
    $62
    That's the thing. Rightful owners usually come forward when property is missing or lost. But money? EVERYONE will be saying.... "yep, it's mine".... can I have it back now please?